Recommendations for removing fuel oil stains from clothing
Perhaps every woman is faced with the problem of removing complex stains from clothes. The hardest thing is for those whose husbands deal with cars or complex mechanisms, because it is motorists, boilers, engineers who regularly deal with all kinds of oils, paints and chemicals in their work. Worst of all washable stains from fuel oil.
What it is?
In order to understand how best to overcome the stains from fuel oil, you must first deal with what it is. Fuel oil is a product of oil refining. It appears as a result of the boiling of petroleum products, such as gasoline, at temperatures above 350 degrees. It is a thick substance of dark, almost black color, consisting of burning, ash, soot and grease. It is due to the high fat content of this substance, the stains from it are strongly eaten into the fabric and are very difficult to wash.
In addition, even the slightest drop that fell on clothes can spread to a fairly extensive stretch of fabric. Also pay attention to the fact that fuel oil can quite severely damage the structure of fibers, eat them.
There is a possibility that even after a successful wash, the fabric will differ in color, structure or its wear resistance in the place where there was a stain.
Before you start cleaning, you need to learn about the pollution with fuel oil a few interesting and very important facts:
- Sulfur, sulfuric acid and silicates may be present in the composition of fuel oil, so cleaning should be done only with rubber gloves, and it will also protect delicate skin from the effects of household chemicals.
- An interesting fact is that cleaning the oil from the front side of the fabric is much more difficult than from the wrong side, so you should turn out the product before starting work.
- In order to prevent the stain from leaking into the next layer of fabric (if, for example, we are talking about a sleeve or a leg), it is worth putting gauze folded in 5-6 layers.
- It is necessary to take into account the fact that the stains from fuel oil is almost impossible to wipe off by rubbing the fabric about itself - this will lead to the erosion of the stain on a more extensive area. It is better to use a soft brush for this or rubbing with another, unnecessary cloth, at the same time you need to change the cloth regularly and rinse the brush under hot water.
- When wet, the stain of fuel oil may continue to spread over the surface of the fabric, so it is advisable to use as little liquid as possible during the initial stages of cleaning.
- It is important to clean from the edge of the stain to its center - this will also prevent an increase in pollution.
- In the final stages, special attention should be paid to the contour of the spot. In order to hide it by 100%, you need to grind the contour as much as possible, stretch it over the surface of the fabric. This should be done at the very end of the mechanical cleaning, after which it is necessary to wash the product in the washing machine.
- If alcohol, acetone, solvent or fuel will be used for cleaning, it is worth trying the product in an inconspicuous place on the surface of the product. So you can protect the thing from changes in color.
- In addition, when working with strong chemical materials should be aware of their flammability and stay away from open fire.
- You can significantly ease the task if you blot a freshly stained stain with a tissue or toilet paper. If at the same time it is also heated up - then most of the fat is absorbed into the paper.
- When using solvents or other strong chemicals, it is necessary to thoroughly wash the product, and then dry it outside or on a balcony (in a well-ventilated place) so that vapors and odors of alcohol, acetone, or other chemicals disappear.
Advertising of modern washing powders often promises wonderful results in washing even the most terrible pollution. Blood, juice, coffee - all this and many other stains may well be painlessly washed with ordinary powder, but even the highest-quality stain remover can hardly cope with fuel oil. There are only a few really reliable, proven tools that are effective in combating such pollution:
- The first and, perhaps, the most reliable means is a high-quality dishwashing detergent. Surprisingly, it is precisely this that can quite easily wash off the mazut stain. The secret of success lies in the fact that heavy fuel oil is greasy, and good dishwashing products easily dissolve grease. The gel will cope especially well with this matter, since it is more concentrated.
- Of the funds that are available to all and are available in almost every home, it is possible to note ordinary household or tar soap. It is a universal assistant in many situations. It is enough to rub the polluted area abundantly, stand for 30-40 minutes and wash in the washing machine. However, soap is effective only in the fight against fresh stains, it is unlikely that it will dry off a dried or stained stain.
- Solvents can also help combat this kind of pollution. But you should pay attention to their composition: if it contains acetone, you need to be extremely careful, because it can eat away the color of the fabric.
- Shampoo for cars copes well with spots of fuel oil. This tool is designed specifically to solve such situations, but this tool is suitable for use on thick, coarse fabrics.
- Carpet cleaners can also be useful. Their main feature is that they have a very light structure, penetrate into the depth of the fabric, corrode the dirt and evaporate. In the case of clothes after the use of such a means washing is still necessary.
- Ordinary ammonia or eucalyptus essential oil copes well with some mazut stains. These tools are well suited for use on delicate and natural fabrics that preclude the use of stronger chemicals.
How can I scrub?
Based on the above recommendations, you can easily find a way to get rid of such an unpleasant situation, as the oil spill. It is necessary to take into account several important factors that will help to bring your favorite things in order without much effort and at home.
With different types of fabric
It is important to remember that there is no universal approach to cleaning different types of fabrics. For example, to fight stains on coarse denim, almost any tool will do. If the stain is small, then it can be removed without problems by ordinary washing, but if the stain is extensive, more stringent methods of dealing with it will be needed.
In a situation with jeans it is quite admissible the use of solvents, acetone and even purified gasoline or kerosene. It is enough only to apply the selected agent to the pollution and leave for an hour. After that, it will be quite easy to wash it off with ordinary soap or laundry detergent. To use such tools can only gloves.
In the case of Bologna, you need to be more careful. To remove the fuel oil stain from your favorite bolonev jacket, you can also use almost all of the above remedies, but with great care. You should first try more gentle methods, so as not to damage the structure of the fabric. It is highly undesirable to use friction on it., because from the intense friction, Bologna becomes very thin and can quickly break through.
In addition, it is quite difficult to see the end result on the bolon's fabric, because it has the property to become covered with spots and specks at the slightest wetting, so there definitely won't be without washing the entire product.
It is categorically unacceptable to use combustible agents on delicate and natural fabrics such as cotton, linen or wool. With such clothes it is quite difficult to remove fuel oil, because it requires careful cleaning.
Here only household chemicals and patience will come to the rescue: it is likely that several washes will be needed. It is possible to consider washing with eucalyptus essential oil or ammonia, but even in the case of these agents, one must be extremely careful, because delicate tissues can be damaged even by such harmless, at first glance, substances.
With white and color materials
It is very difficult to say which scanner makes it harder to remove oil pollution: from white or from color. On the one hand, on a white cloth such a stain is too obvious, but on the other, when cleaning colored fabrics there is a high probability of losing the color of the product. In the case of a white cloth, it is perfectly acceptable to use quality bleach: if the stain is small and fresh, there is a high probability that a simple wash with bleach will be enough. In a similar situation with colored fabrics there is a good chance to cope. with the help of a good stain remover.
In the case of colored fabric, it is very important to conduct a “test” wash - a fading test. To do this, a small amount of the selected agent should be applied to a small area of the product: it can be the inside of a cuff or collar or any other place hidden from the eyes of unauthorized people, and leave it for a while.
If the fabric does not fade under the influence of the selected agent - its use in the contaminated area is quite acceptable, but if there is a change in color - it is worth choosing another means.
Off the skin
In the case of leather goods and shoes things are a little easier. Due to its dense structure and smooth surface, the skin absorbs fuel oil much less. It is enough to wipe the oil in a timely manner from the surface with a wet alcohol wipe and problems can be avoided altogether. Leather products are extremely undesirable to wash or dry clean, so it is better to minimize the possibility of such contamination.
If the stain is still ingrained and there is a need to withdraw it, it will come to the rescue car interior cleaner. Car shampoo is designed to combat this kind of stains, it dissolves fat well and removes the remains of burning and soot from the composition of fuel oil.
However, the frequent use of this tool is unacceptable for leather products, because it penetrates deep into the fabric and can destroy its structure.
You can also consider the option of minimal chemical intervention. To do this, you can try to wash off the stain with household soap or alcohol and paint the product with a special paint for the skin: this option will help not only to clean the product, but also update its appearance.
Today, there are many options to deal with complex stains. The time when hostesses were forced to rub and boil clothes was long gone. Today, it is only important to choose for yourself a suitable household chemical and washing machine, and you can forget about the fight against stains. Washing has become something simple, it is no longer a women's labor service, even in the case of such complex contaminants as mazut stains.
In the next video you will learn about another effective remedy.