How to wash a knitted thing that she sat down?
Knitted things are always beautiful. Such products do not go out of fashion, on the contrary, they become more popular from year to year. True, there is one drawback. Since all these products are made using only natural yarns, without synthetics, then over time they quickly lose their shape and greatly stretch. But this problem can be solved, for example, by properly washing them.
How to do it? How to achieve the effect of proper shrinkage? Read more about this in our special material.
Knitted wool items require a particularly delicate attitude. But, despite all the care shown by the owners towards them, they still lose their shape. In particular, this applies to various sweaters and sweaters. As a rule, these products stretch the sleeves, shoulder areas and collars. To return the former look with the help of the usual washing of your favorite thing, you need to know a few secrets in order to precisely wash the knitted thing so that it will sit down.
There are certain rules that help to return things to the perfect look. Most importantly, this does not require professional skills or any expensive tools. Everything can be done easily in normal home conditions.
Before you choose one of the methods of shrinkage of the product, you need to remember the following recommendations.
- To get started, look at the product tag to know exactly which yarn was used. If synthetic yarns prevail, then a slightly different washing will be required than if the product is made more using natural yarns.
- Thanks to the information on the label, you can find out at what temperature it is recommended to wash the product, so as not to damage its fibers and shape. You should pay special attention to this, because the degree of shrinkage will depend directly on the washing temperature. The higher the wash temperature, the more the item will sit down.
- We recommend to remember another rule. Things that were connected independently tend to stretch much faster. The reason is quite explicable. The fact is that during large-scale production a large percentage of synthetic yarn is added, which does not allow things to quickly lose their shape.
How to wash?
If a knitted thing, for example, a sweater or a hat, does not need washing and shrinkage, then you should not carry out the procedure once again. From frequent washings, the product can be damaged, lose its shape, the fibers will become more loose and thin. There are only two methods of shrinkage: manual and using a washing machine. Let's first consider the first option.
Many people prefer hand washing not because there is no washing machine in the house, but because they cannot trust their favorite thing to a soulless appliance. Before proceeding with the washing process, examine the label. Once you get all the information you need, prepare a wide basin, detergent, the product itself and clean towels that will be useful at the very end.
- Type in a basin of hot water. Regarding temperature, there is a very simple rule that we recommend that you remember. To shrink a knit, water must be fifteen to twenty degrees higher than the temperature indicated on the tag itself. That is, if it is recommended to wash a thing at twenty degrees, then in order to reduce the size of a thing, it is necessary to wash it at forty degrees. Arithmetic is quite simple and clear.
- Pour a small amount of an air conditioner that is designed exclusively for washing wool products into the water, and then immerse the thing itself.The air conditioner will help your favorite thing to remain just as cozy, fluffy and delicate, because often after washing such products start to prick unpleasantly.
- The product should be left in hot water for literally twenty to thirty minutes. Then we recommend to remove it and immerse it in cold water for fifteen minutes. Then comes a more crucial moment - the drying process, from which much will depend.
- When removing the product from water, in no case squeeze it, twist it or hang it to let the glass run. All these manipulations can seriously damage the fibers, and the product can be deformed.
- If you washed small items, such as a hat, socks or a scarf, you can remove excess moisture from them easily and quickly by wrapping them with a clean towel. If the product is volumetric, for example, a sweater or jacket, then you will need to prepare in advance the place of drying.
It is desirable that this was a flat board. It should be of such size that the product calmly fit on it. Usually the housewives use a lattice board, which is in every bathroom. Remember that you only need to dry the product in a horizontal position.
Lay a large terry towel or a wide sheet, lay the product neatly on it, do not stretch it. A thing must be decomposed in such a way that it does not stretch out and deform. From above you can put another towel.
As soon as the towels are soaked with water, they need to be replaced with a clean and dry. So repeat until the thing is completely dry. Ideally, the procedure can be carried out in the open air or on a balcony where a draft can be arranged.
But we do not recommend drying things in the sun. Products may deteriorate from direct sunlight. You should not dry knitted products near heating devices, on batteries or the hair dryer. So you spoil the wool fibers.
In the washing machine
Most new generation washing machines are equipped with special programs that are ideal for washing such delicate items as wool. Usually, such a program has already incorporated a gentle temperature and a delicate spin, which will not damage the fabric fibers.
- Before proceeding to machine wash, place the item that requires shrinkage in a special bag. If there is no laundry bag in the house, this is not a problem. We recommend using the most ordinary pillow case as a bag. Prefer white fabric, without any color drawings. So you are guaranteed to save the delicate product from damage, and its appearance will not be hopelessly flawed.
- Then you can safely lay the thing in the washing machine drum. Add suitable powder or liquid. Remember that the temperature must be set to twenty degrees more than the recommended, and the spin can be completely abandoned. But if you decide to spin, then no more than five hundred revolutions, otherwise the clothing will be irretrievably damaged.
- If there is no program for washing wool items in your washing machine, then it is quite possible to choose a program of delicate or hand washing.
- After the product is washed, it must be removed from the drum and placed in a bowl of ice water. You can add small ice cubes to the water from the freezer. Leave the item in ice water for ten to fifteen minutes.
- If the thing is not enough sat, you can do the following. Rinse the product in warm water for about three minutes. Then soak again in a basin of ice water. The procedure can be repeated two or three times to achieve the desired effect.
- Next you should start the drying process. In this case, everything is done in exactly the same way as described above with the hand wash method.
And finally, we have tips and recommendations that are sure to be useful to each of you.
- During hand washing such delicate items as knitted should not use the usual means, namely, detergent. This may cause deformation of the fibers. In addition, the particles of such funds hardly washed out and remain in the material. Give preference to special products: gels and liquid powders, which are recommended directly for wool items. You can also choose baby powder or the most common laundry soap.
- We do not recommend using bleaching agents during the washing of woolen clothes. They can seriously damage not only the fibers, but also spoil the original color of the product. Therefore, we advise to give preference to the means of which we spoke above.
- Hand washing any dirt on a knitted item by hand, do not use special brushes, they will damage the fabric and the threads themselves. Wash gently with your hands.
- To maintain the rich color of your favorite product, it is worth adding a small amount of table vinegar to the water. Vinegar will help fix the color. Just remember that it does not have to be multi-percent acetic acid.
- In order to stretch a knitted hat sat on one size, you can wash it in a simple way and leave to dry without putting a cloth.
- If you decide to wash a knitted item in a typewriter, then the best thing is not to lay any more items in the drum. Wash one thing at a time to get better results.
- During the process of drying sweaters and sweaters, remember that this should not be done on hangers, as the product will stretch and take an ugly shape. Then you have to repeat the whole procedure of shrinkage.
- In the event that after washing the thing has sat down, but has become a bit longer, this is easy to fix. Of course, only if the thing is still wet. Lightly stretch it so as to return the old, correct length. Then dry as you know.
- If, on the contrary, it is necessary to extend a thing, then this can be done with an iron.
- In order for things not to appear on the pellets, you can add a little table vinegar to the basin with water. Literally one tablespoon.
- If you do not want your favorite knitted clothes to quickly lose their shape, then you need to remember a few simple rules for storing such things. Sweaters or sweaters should not be stored on ordinary hangers in the closet.
Such things need to be carefully folded and stored on a shelf. Moreover, put them on top so that other things do not damage or deform the delicate fibers of their products.
- Knit items should be stored in special bags. Things must be washed and thoroughly dried. We recommend putting a tool in the bag, which should be made of thick fabric, which will help avoid the appearance of a harmful moth.
- If you need to quickly return the lost shape to the sleeves, cuffs or neck of a knitted sweater, you can do this using the following method. Type in a spray of warm water, apply water only on the problem area of the product. While, for example, the cuff is wet, you can give it the desired shape: slightly tighten, stretch, etc. Next, you need to expand the thing on a flat horizontal surface and dry according to all the above rules.
- In order that the holes for the buttons on the product are not stretched, it is better to grab them slightly with a thread.
For information on how to wash a knitted thing, so she sat down, see the next video.