How to clean the foam from clothes?
Polyurethane foam is a building material that performs an important function in the implementation of construction and repair work. This polyurethane sealant is needed to seal gaps, seams and voids. It has many advantages and in some cases is simply irreplaceable. But when this material gets on clothes, there are serious problems associated with its removal from a particular type of fabric.
However, it is difficult to call the thing with the pollution from the mounting foam hopelessly spoiled, as there are some cleaning methods that you can try to eliminate this kind of stains.
Peculiarities of pollution
Polyurethane foam is quite popular in works related to the repair and construction, because it is very tightly connected to the material. This explains the difficulties that arise when removing sealant from clothing fabrics. The stain may not be removed using a machine or hand wash.
A sensible solution to prevent the appearance of this type of contamination on clothing is to purchase, in addition to foam, a solvent designed to instantly and effectively combat the adhesive mass that has got onto the thing.
In the absence of such a means, it is possible to clean the clothes of building material by using household products. The likelihood of purification of such pollution with improvised means will be much less, and the time spent is more. However, it is impossible to delay the removal of these stains, since the sealant hardens quite quickly (within 12 hours) and sticks to the fabric, penetrating deeply into its fibers, which further will create even more difficulties when removing it.
The success of the result and the complexity of its achievement, associated with the removal of stains from building material, are due to the responsiveness of the response - it is urgent to take cleaning measures before the foamy composition has had time to go into a frozen state.
What can be washed?
Special cleaners or products that are always at hand help to clean the product from mounting foam. The cleaning process will be much easier if the stain is fresh, not solidified.
To cope with stains of varying complexity, it is recommended to use the following tools:
- store foam cleaner;
- foam solvent;
- a mixture of gasoline and stain remover;
- a mixture of white spirit and stain remover;
- nail polish remover.
The above means emit toxic substances, so before opening the package it is necessary to protect the respiratory system, wearing personal protective equipment. In addition, regular airing of the room should be ensured.
The use of improvised means found at home may adversely affect the fabric of clothing, which fell part of the foam. Removing stains using home cleaning methods is much more difficult and time consuming. Chance of damaging the surface of the garment and dissolving fabric dye is great. Therefore, it is necessary to test them on the wrong side of clothing, hidden from prying eyes.
Lack of cleaner should not interfere with cleaning clothes. If a special tool has not been purchased before, you should not waste time searching for it in stores and buying it. In this case, every minute is precious, therefore, instead of taking these steps, it is better to use improvised means.
Effective cleaning methods
Unfortunately, the pollution from the foam is not always possible to notice in time.The greatest difficulties arise when removing old stains formed from the frozen construction structure. It seems that a favorite jacket, comfortable pants or trendy jeans are hopelessly flawed and have to be thrown away. However, the issue can be solved by using the available funds available at home or special solutions sold in hardware stores.
It is only necessary to know the devices and how to properly use them. With the appropriate knowledge and skills, things can be safely cleaned and returned to its original appearance.
There are many tools and ways to effectively clean the dirt from the foam. The most common are:
- Spatula (knife), laundry detergent (laundry soap), rags (cotton wool or cloth), special foam cleaner. Among special means, this substance is very popular because it has a reasonable price and wide availability. The method of its application consists in accurate performance of the following consecutive actions:
- Remove the cap from the foam with a spatula.
- Moisten the cloth in the cleaning solution and with dot movements to attach it to the treated area. Contact with a liquid substance on the stain causes its easy and safe removal from the fabric.
- Wash the product with a powder and rinse.
- Knife (spatula), cotton wool tampon, hard bristle brush, laundry detergent (laundry soap), dimexide. It is an affordable medication used for external use. It refers to antiseptic agents. Dimexide in the form of a solution or concentrate can flawlessly remove stains caused by contact with a building material and even glue. Mode of application:
- remove the cap from the foam from the surface of the product with a knife;
- Swab dimexide thick layer on the frozen foam;
- wait half an hour for the stain to dissolve under the influence of the agent;
- brush to remove traces of foam;
- wash clothes with powder;
- When finished cleaning, rinse the item.
- Solvent, hard sponge (brush with hard bristles). This tool and its action is similar to the cleaner. The difference is getting a more effective result: its action is much faster, and the surface is much cleaner. Mode of application:
- remove the cap from the foam;
- apply solvent to the stain and wait a quarter of an hour to soften it;
- scrub any residual foam with a brush or sponge;
- if the need arises, the procedure must be repeated;
- at the end of the cleaning process, rinse the item in warm water.
- Gasoline, stain remover, spatula. Means are recommended to be used consistently. It is necessary to take into account the fact that the use of these tools leads to the risk of corrosive paint and the formation of colored stains in the area that has been contaminated. Therefore, in this case, it is just necessary to test this tool in the invisible part of the thing. Mode of application:
- spatula remove pieces of foam;
- abundantly moisten traces of foam with gasoline to ensure their soaking and subsequent easy removal;
- depending on the severity of the pollution, wait for the right time (if the stain has an average complexity of pollution, wait 30 minutes);
- after a specified time, the fabric should be treated with a stain remover, strictly following the instructions on the product packaging;
- wash the treated area and rinse.
- White spirit, stain remover. When using these chemicals, it is necessary to test their effect on a small piece of cloth in order to prevent the fabric from corroding or changing its color. Method using:
- soak the stain with plenty of white spirit;
- wait half an hour;
- Treat the place that has been contaminated with a stain remover.Before using such a chemical, you should read the instructions on its packaging.
- Wash the product and rinse.
- Nail polish remover, cotton swabs. It is recommended to use a liquid that contains no oil. It will be able to ensure the removal of even old spots. Mode of application:
- neatly apply the product to the surface to be treated;
- remove the construction compound from the clothes with cotton buds.
- Vegetable oil, washing powder, brush. Fats cope with contamination from varnish, coloring matter and foam. Mode of application:
- clean the foam composition from the treated area;
- thoroughly soak the stain with warm vegetable oil;
- wait a few minutes (no more than 5), so that the pollution absorbed the oil;
- then pour detergent into the oiled area, rubbing it to obtain a foam - this will help to wash off the surface layer of the construction substance. Add some water if necessary;
- clean the cloth gently with a brush;
- wash the treated area in warm water to which the powder has been added.
If the above means and methods of their use have not helped to cope with pollution, it may be worth trying two more cleaning methods:
- Frost. A thing that is subject to pollution is recommended to be placed in a bag made of polyethylene, so that the stain does not touch the clean areas and is on the outside. It is necessary to put the bag in the freezing chamber and wait for a certain time required for the foam to completely cure. Frozen foam should be carefully cleaned with a knife. The remaining small marks are cleaned with a stain remover or nail polish remover. After carrying out this cleaning method, you need to wash off the foam and rinse the product.
- Light from the sun. This type of processing is time consuming. Use of an ultra-violet lamp will help to accelerate process. This cleaning method is suitable for fabrics that differ in density and a high degree of resistance to adverse effects. We are talking about jeans, a jacket and other clothing. The properties of the foam are used for the implementation of internal construction works, therefore the influence of the sun is detrimental to it. This causes its rather rapid aging. Using this property as a means of removing stubborn stains from the fabric ensures the desired result. The area of fabric exposed to contamination should be placed on an open place that is exposed to direct sunlight.
Expect a long time, affecting a period of several days. Cloth with contamination periodically needs to be crushed to make the stain disappear more quickly. One of the previously reviewed funds can handle the balances.
Removing old stains
The foam, which has managed to harden, has a high level of strength and water resistance, and it can also resist the adverse effects of the environment.
To combat the contamination resulting from the drying of the semi-liquid mass, it is recommended to use special tools.
Produced a lot of tools that can be easily cleaned foam composition with different types of fabrics. Such cleaners are sold at an affordable price in specialized stores. They can be used to clean tools and clothes. The most popular of them are:
- Liquid for cleansing the mounting gun. This tool is developed by firms that are engaged in the release of the mounting foam. This substance instantly removes traces of foam on the pants and jacket that did not have time to dry. Fresh or very little dried foam is recommended to be removed from the fabric with a spatula, and the absorbed residue is treated with a chemical from a can. Liquid can also remove old contamination, but its action will not be sufficiently effective.Hardened foam should be soaked, and then wipe off with a brush with hard bristles.
After cleaning clothes, it is recommended to lock them in a solution of powder and water.
- Special solvent designed for dried foam. To soften the hardened sealant, you can buy a special solvent that has a powerful effect. However, its price will be higher than the cost of liquid for pistols. Hardened foam should be cut with a knife blade. Extreme caution and utmost care will help prevent damage to the integrity of the web and the formation of holes in the contaminated place. After that, leave the thing with the applied agent for the time indicated on the instructions (about a quarter of an hour). Soaked mass must be cleaned from the surface of the clothes. To achieve a more effective result, this procedure can be repeated.
To avoid possible damage to the fabric from exposure to the chemical will help him testing on a small area of clothing from the wrong side.
- Cleaner in a spray can. Before using it, it is recommended to gently shake the container with liquid, then the process of direct spraying is carried out. To get rid of the foam that sticks out above the surface, the knife will help before cleaning, and residual contamination should be sprayed with the product. Clean cloth should not be exposed to solvents. After a quarter of an hour, the contaminated place must be wiped off with a foam sponge, and the product itself should be washed with water to which soap has been added. Aerosols are used to remove both fresh and already dried foam.
If none of the listed types of cleaning failed and the stain remains in the same place, you can resort to the only option that helps to prevent the release of clothing - to do embroidery or appliqué on the damaged area.
There are many methods that reveal the essence of the safe removal of construction dirt from clothes, but you should try to make every effort to ensure that such dirt simply does not appear. Then you do not have to spend time cleaning such complex stains, nor money to buy chemicals specifically designed to remove contaminants from building material.
Taking into account the following tips will help avoid getting foam on your clothes:
- Protective clothing. It is recommended to wear special gloves and suits that are suitable for working with a building compound. Old clothes that are not to be used for such a purpose are also suitable.
- Tool. Spray cans and pistols provide the necessary dosage of foam. Its surplus will not flow out of the tool.
- The organization of the workplace. Extensive and comfortable space will help to avoid accidental contact of semi-liquid mass on the surface of clothes. Foreign objects should be immediately removed so that they do not interfere with the flow of the workflow.
- The right technology. It is advisable to pre-treat the surface with which the foam will clutch. This improves the quality of bonding, and the building compound will not fall out of the cracks on the floor or clothing.
When working with toxic products at home, you must follow the safety rules:
- it is necessary to ensure regular airing of the room;
- It is recommended to use rubber gloves that can prevent the occurrence of a chemical burn;
- personal protective equipment will prevent the ingress of toxic substances on the skin and mucous membrane;
- You should definitely put a scarf on your head or wear a hat;
- Do not spray aerosols near open flame /
It is forbidden to spray chemicals in close proximity to varnished surfaces - this can lead to deterioration.
For information on how to remove mounting foam from clothing, see the following video.